Last Modified: February 8, 2022
California Residents: Please refer to Section 6 for additional information about our data privacy practices and to understand your rights.
1. PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
The following describes the personal information (“Personal Information”) we may collect from Users.
Account and athlete profile information: We collect personal information when you create a registered Velocity Esports Account, sign up for our mailing list, purchase or register a product, or otherwise communicate with us. The personal information we collect during account registration may depend on your account type but could include name, phone number, date of birth, player name, email address, mailing address and other contact information. We also collect additional information if you provide it in your athlete profile, which could include, but is not limited to, photos or avatars, username or GamerTag and social media handle(s). If a User enrolls in an Esports Competition with additional eligibility requirements, we may request additional pieces of personal information to verify your eligibility for participation, such as by verifying your age or city of residence.
Parent/Guardian account setup: For users under the age of 13 that wish to use the Services and/or participate in Esports Competitions, a parent or guardian must sign up on their behalf (“Parent Account”). We do not allow users under the age of 13 to create an account on our platform. Velocity Esports collects certain information about Parents/Guardians, including their name, email, phone, city and state. A participating child’s GamerTag may be requested and/or required for participation in specific games. No personally identifying data will be collected on the participating child when under the age of 13. Parent/Guardian user information and other information associated with this data is referred to as “Parent Data.”
Communications and payment: We collect personal information when you sign up for our mailing list or otherwise communicate with us, including by contacting us in person (for example, at camps, competitions, conferences, workshops, seminars and other events), via telephone, facsimile or email. We also collect payment information if you make a purchase or sign up for a subscription.
Data collected through the use of the Services: We collect information about how you use the Services, your actions on the Services, and any content you post to the Services (“User Content”), as well as information about a player record (e.g., gameplay statistics, personal awards and highlights featuring the athlete).
Information we receive from third parties: We may receive personal information about you from third parties and combine that with the information we collect through the Services. For example, we receive information about your activities on third party games you access through the Services. We may also receive information from any third-party services that you link to the Services. For example, if you link your Velocity Esports Account to your account on a social network such as Discord or Twitch, these services will authenticate your identity and may provide some of your personal information to us. The data we receive is dependent on that third party’s policies and your privacy settings on that third-party service. We will store your authentication token and any personal information the service provides to us in order to provide you with the Services.
We use this information to operate, maintain, and provide the features and functionality of the Services, as well as to communicate directly with you, such as to send you email messages and push notifications, and permit you to communicate with Users or invite others to join the Services. We may also send you Services-related emails or messages (e.g., account verification, change or updates to features of the Services, technical and security notices).
Usage and Device Information
- • to improve functionality and performance of our Services, including tailoring our Services to increase relevancy of content displayed to you;
- • to provide you with the Services;
- • to authenticate users of our Services;
- • to provide us with insights on how users use our Services and other analytics, such as traffic on our Services;
- • to remember your settings and preferences; and
- • to deliver relevant advertisements to you based on your interests, preferences, and activities. Cookies also help to avoid delivering the same advertisements to you too many times and measure the usefulness of advertisements you have been delivered. Information gathered by Cookies may be shared with third parties, including advertisers. This means that sometimes you will see our Services advertised elsewhere on the internet.
Third-Party Information Collection
When you use the Services, certain third parties may use automatic information collection technologies to collect information about you or your device. These third parties may include:
- • Advertisers, ad networks, and ad servers;
- • Analytics companies;
- • Your mobile device manufacturer; and
- • Your mobile service provider.
These third parties may use tracking technologies to collect information about you when you use the Services. The information they collect may be associated with your personal information or they may collect information, including Personal Information, about your online activities over time and across different websites, apps, and other online services websites. They may use this information to provide you with interest-based (behavioral) advertising or other targeted content.
We do not control these third parties’ tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly.
2. HOW YOUR INFORMATION IS USED
Velocity Esports will disclose your Personal Information when you post content that is visible to others on the Services, when you consent or instruct us to share your information with third parties, or when we have a legitimate business or legal need to share your information. We may use information collected from you as follows:
- • to deliver our Services to you;
- • to register your Velocity Esports Account on the Services;
- • to verify and authenticate your Velocity Esports Account information;
- • to send you informational, administrative, or promotional communications if you explicitly consented to receive these communications;
- • to communicate with you and to enable other Users to communicate with you;
- • to respond to your inquiries and provide you with customer support;
- • to serve you relevant advertisements and content;
- • to perform analytics on our Services;
- • for any other purposes that are disclosed to you and to which you consent; and
- • for any purpose required by law.
For example, your information may be shared with:
The public (Competition Data is visible to other Users on the Services by default). Some information about athletes and competition results is posted on the Services and will be visible to other Users, website visitors and the public by default when you use the Services (“Competition Data”). Competition Data includes certain personal information from the athlete profile, including athlete player name, photo or avatar, player GamerTag and certain optional athlete profile fields, as well as athlete player statistics and gameplay highlights. Email addresses, payment details, and birth date are not Competition Data and are not available to the general public.
Third Party Partners and Sponsors. From time to time, and in a manner consistent with your preferences or as permitted by law, we may provide your information, including name and email address and/or Parent Data, to our corporate partners and official sponsors. Our sponsors may use this information to offer you deals, discounts and other promotional content and to communicate with you.
Legal Compliance. We may also disclose your personal information for legal compliance purposes, to cooperate with or carry out investigations, and in compliance with any court order or subpoena.
3. YOUR CHOICES ABOUT OUR COLLECTION, USE AND DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
As a user of our Services, you have the following rights as they relate to your Personal Information:
- • the right to know what Personal Information about you is collected;
- • the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months;
- • the right to request that we delete any of your Personal Information that we collected from you and retained (subject to certain exceptions);
- • the right to know whether and to whom your personal information is shared, and you have the right to opt out of having your personal information shared; and
- • Parents and guardians can adjust the settings for their child’s Velocity Esports Account by visiting www.velocityesports.com/parental_controls.
Accessing Your Personal Information
Registered customers can use their profile pages to access and control certain information we collect. Personal information accessible through user profile pages includes username, email
address, profile picture, region/location, integration preferences, opt-in/out of marketing and contact preferences.
You may also request access to personal information by submitting a request—accessible through the Website or by direct email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deletion of Personal Information
You may request that we delete your Personal Information by submitting a written request by email at email@example.com. Once we receive and confirm your request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your Personal Information from our records, unless an exception applies.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service providers to:
- • provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you;
- • detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent or illegal activity or prosecute those responsible for such activities;
- • debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality;
- • exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights or exercise another right provided for by law;
- • comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 seq.);
- • engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information’s deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research’s achievement, if you previously provided informed consent;
- • enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us;
- • comply with the law and any and all legal requirements, including valid court orders and government investigations; or
- • make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
You can opt out all marketing communications by (i) clicking the “Unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails, or (ii) changing your account settings on the Website. It may take up to 30 days before we are able to process your opt-out request. Once we have processed the request, you will not receive any more marketing communications unless you opt back in.
4. SECURITY, RETENTION AND MONITORING
The security of your Personal Information is important to us. We are committed to ensuring your Personal Information is protected and will use industry-standard security measures, including Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology, to do so. Personal Information may only be accessed by persons within our organization who require such access to provide you with the services indicated above.
No method of transmission or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of your information. In the event of a data breach, whether internal or external, that affects your personal information, we will act promptly to mitigate the impact of a breach and notify any affected users without undue delay.
Unless otherwise required by law, we are not responsible for monitoring or recording any activity on the Services, although we reserve the right to do so.
The Services are intended to be appropriate for general audiences and are not directed to children under the age of 13. Velocity Esports does not intentionally collect personal information from children under the age of 13 without required parental approval in accordance with applicable legal and regulatory obligations, such as the U.S. Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”).
We may ask you to provide age-related information in order to help us comply with laws like COPPA. For example, we may request your date of birth to determine whether COPPA requires us to obtain verifiable parental consent from your parent or guardian before allowing you to access
Once a parent provides their consent, we will give them an opportunity to review and change important account settings that control how their child can interact with the Services. To learn more, see www.velocityesports.com/parental_controls. Parents are also generally free to change or revoke the choices they have previously made, and can review the Personal Information associated with their child’s account or request that we delete it from our systems. To submit these requests or ask us any other questions you may have about how we handle your child’s personal information, please see “How to Contact Us,” below.
6. CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
California law permits customers in California to request certain details about how their information is shared with third parties and, in some cases, affiliates, for those third parties’ and affiliates’ own direct marketing purposes.
We may from time to time elect to share certain information about you collected by us on the Services with third parties or affiliates for those third parties’ or affiliates’ own direct marketing purposes.
We do not sell your Personal Information for money. The definition of “sale” under the CCPA is broad and may include activities that are common practice to many businesses, such as sharing partially de-identified information (hashed email addresses), Internet or network activity (through cookies), and engage in remarketing and retargeting activities. You may opt out of the sale of your Personal Information by clicking here: www.velocityesports.com/personal_informaion
If you are a California resident, you may request information about our compliance with this law by contacting us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by sending a letter to Velocity Esports, Inc., Attn: Velocity Esports Legal Department, 3838 North Kenneth Avenue, Chicago, IL 60641. Any such request must include “California Privacy Rights Request” in the first line of the description and include your name, street address, city, state, and ZIP code. Please note that we are only required to respond to one request per customer each year, and we are not required to respond to requests made by means other than through this email address or mailing address.
7. CANADA RESIDENTS
Canadian residents are hereby notified that Velocity Esports and its service providers may process and store your Personal Information outside of Canada, including in the United States, and such data may be subject to disclosure to authorized law enforcement, local courts, and national security authorities pursuant to applicable local laws and legal process. You may contact Velocity Esports with questions about our privacy practices, including to receive information regarding our policies and procedures with respect to service providers outside of your jurisdiction.
You are further notified that if you refuse to consent to our collection, use or disclosure of your personal information, we may not be able to provide you with the Services. Subject to legal and contractual restrictions, you may withdraw your consent to our further collection, use or disclosure of your personal information for such purposes as marketing and delivering surveys at any time by giving us reasonable notice. You may not be permitted to withdraw your consent to certain necessary collections, uses and disclosures of your information (such as maintaining reasonable business and transaction records).
Please see “Your Choices About Our Collection, Use and Disclosure of Your Information” for information about how to exercise your rights to access your personal information. Our authorized employees, agents and mandataries will have access to your information as required to fulfill their obligations to us.
8. HOW TO CONTACT US